10/26/11

Food, The Celiac Kid Abroad can take it or leave it.

I am food driven. If I see food, I want it, especially chocolate. Yum.

I am amazed that my celiac child can eat like a bird and survive.  If I ate that way I would most certainly die of hunger. Seriously, just the thoughts of grocery shopping makes my mouth water. But the Boy is very different when it comes to food, the desire for food, the whole process of eating food and even choosing food. He is not food driven. He doesn't eat.

This used to perplex me as I watched him go days and days surviving on a bowel of gluten free cocoa pepples (yea, I know not the most nutritive breakfast cereal, but in David, Panama we have two gluten free cereal options, and they are fruity or cocoa flavor if you get my drift). So back to the Boy. For the past week he has eaten hardly any food. Last night for dinner I begged and pleaded for him to eat a hot dog.  Forty-Five minutes late the hot dog was almost gone. Forty-five minutes to eat a hot dog! Jeez!

I started a food journal for him as well - just to make certain he was getting a good variety of foods and not ODing on the cocoa stuff....
1) GF Waffles
2) 1 glass of Hawaiin Punch
3) 1/2 of a scambled egg
4) Hot Dog
5) 3/4 of a banana
6) Hand full of gummy bears

The Boy will not eat anything that resembles breads, crackers, breading and such. My Mommy Theory is that these foods made his belly hurt and feel so horribly for so long he just associates it will feeling, well crappy, so he avoids these foods like the plague.  My second Mommy Theory is that he doesn't give a hill of beans about food - good for him because he didn't get that from me - so he just looks at food like a chore - not the source of pleasure my food loving body finds.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Celiac Kid! Nice post! I don't know if you will be able to get the ingredients easily, but wanted to share this link to King Arthur Flour's gluten free recipes: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free
    Xi Love,
    teagoddess

    ReplyDelete